Learn to Canyon
If you are a total beginner (you’ve only joined commercial trips or where someone else knows the systems and you are being guided) or have training in various other outdoor pursuits and you want to know the “little traps”, then this course is to ensure you start your personal canyoning adventures with safe and correct habits! Coaching on how to ‘scout the edge’ plus very shallow and BIG jump training/tips is covered in this course. This course includes all of the standard/recreational “down stream” canyoning techniques.
Activity level: Moderate
Canyon time: 2 Canyons (Tui and Kaumira).
Length: 2 days
Transport: Provide your own.
Accommodation and meals: Provide your own.
- Trip planning
- Equipment – learn it and use it!
- Rope management and care
- Movement through the canyon, individual, group, team work… the stuff other experienced canyoners would expect you to know!
- Abseiling techniques for the canyon environment
- Rigging and anchoring for down stream canyoning
- Ascend a rope in a canyon
Before you come
Participants need to have –
- Time! Ideally two weeks to practice your pre-course skills basics!
- Moderate level of fitness and inform us of any medical conditions, injuries and fears before the course
- Be able to swim
- Keen to try something new!
- A minimum age of 14, under 16 conditions apply
- Some experience in active outdoor activities is an advantage.
You need to bring –
- *Climbing or whitewater helmet
- *Life jacket – whitewater style
- *Neoprene socks
- *Neoprene hat
- *4-5 mm wetsuit
- *Suitable footwear that can get wet e.g. canyon shoes, approach shoes or running shoes
- *Harness with rigging. Details given upon booking.
- Personal first aid kit
- Headlamp + spare batteries
- Suitable 35-40 litre pack e.g. canyon pack, cave pack or similar pvc pack with enough flotation to keep it and your gear on the surface!
- Rope 50-60 meters long (9-10mm diameter).
*You can hire all the indicated equipment from us for a set rate of $50 per person per day – let us know.