Learn to Canyon
If you are a total beginner (you’ve only joined commercial trips or where someone else knows the systems and you are being guided) or have training in various other outdoor pursuits and you want to avoid the “little traps”, then this course is to ensure you start your personal canyoning adventures with safe and correct habits! Coaching on how to approach ‘the edge’ plus very shallow and BIG jump training/tips is covered in this course.
Activity level: Moderate
Canyon time: 2 Canyons (Tui and Kaumira).
Length: 2 days
Transport: Provide your own.
Accommodation and meals: Provide your own.
- Trip planning
- Equipment list
- Rope management and care
- Movement through a canyon – walking, up and down climbing, jumping, sliding and swimming
- Abseiling techniques for the canyon environment
- Ascend a rope in a canyon
Before you come
Participants need to have –
- Moderate level of fitness and inform us of any medical conditions, injuries and fears before the course
- Be able to swim
- Keen to try something new!
- A minimum age of 14, under 16 conditions apply
- Some experience in active outdoor activities is an advantage.
You need to bring –
- *Climbing or whitewater helmet
- *Life jacket – whitewater style
- *Neoprene socks
- *Neoprene hat
- *4-5 mm wetsuit
- *Suitable footwear that can get wet e.g. canyon shoes, approach shoes or running shoes
- *Harness with:
– with 2 cows tails (aka lanyards, daisy chains),
– figure-8 descender,
– 5 locking carabiners to go with the above, and
– ideally the harness has a pvc seat
- Personal first aid kit
- Headlamp + spare batteries
- Suitable 35-40 litre pack e.g. canyon pack, cave pack or similar pvc pack
*You can hire all the indicated equipment from us for a set rate of $50 per person per day – let us know.