Guide the Canyon
This two day course is designed for those who want to take it to the next level and is more technical based. The essentials for leading canyons, rescue and being self-sufficient in harder grade canyons. If you are already an advanced level canyoner and want to focus on the technical rescue systems and swift water rescue, or are looking for a customised or tailor made course, look no further!!
Activity level: Challenging
Canyon time: 2 canyons
Length: 2 days
Transport: Provide your own.
Accommodation and meals: Provide your own. We base ourselves from Geraldine.
- Rescue equipment and performing rescues
- Rope rescue systems
- River rescue and advanced rope handling techniques
- Advanced and large group rigging
- BIG and technical jumping
Before you come
Participants need to have –
- Attended a ‘Canyon 1 Course’ and completed at least 5 moderate canyons since. This course relies on you being proficient and fluid at down stream canyon rigging.
- High level of fitness – you are in for two huge days of training and fun!
- First Aid training recommended
You need to bring –
- Climbing or whitewater helmet
- Life jacket – whitewater style with releasable chest harness if possible
- Neoprene socks
- Neoprene hat
- 4-5 mm wetsuit
- Suitable canyoning footwear
- Harness with PVC seat and cows tails, plus the standard rigging – fig 8’s x 2, rigging biners.
- 2-3 ascending/grabbing and progress capture options (shunt, t-block, mini or micro traxion etc)
- VT prussic
- 5m length of webbing
- diving mask
- Throw bag
- Personal first aid kit
- Suitable 40-50 litre canyon pack with suitable flotation once your equipment is loaded into it.
For the Canyon 2 Course we encourage students to bring their own equipment. However we can provide equipment for $50 per day if needed. Let us know.