River Rescue for Canyons
Probably one of the most exciting and fun times you can have on and in a river! A huge focus on your personal development, comfort and understanding of how white water in a flooded canyon behaves. Basic rescues through to underwater searches and extraction techniques. If you are planning on guiding inexperienced people or exploration trips, this sort of training is a must!
Activity level: Challenging
Canyon time: 5-8 hours per day
Length: 2 days
Transport: Provide your own.
Accommodation and meals: Provide your own. We base ourselves from Geraldine.
- Knots with a swift water application
- Rope handling
- More gear
- Throw bagging from beginner to advanced
- Live bait
- White water combat
- Swim smart, not strong
- Jumping into powerful currents – down time
Before you come
Participants need to have –
- Attended a ‘Canyon 1 Course’ and completed at least 5 moderate canyons since
- High level of fitness – Hiking in, training hard then swimming out!
- Good swimming ability – We will be be swimming in and around grades 2/ 3 and scarily close to some grade 4/5!!
- First Aid training recommended
You need to bring –
- Climbing or whitewater helmet
- Life jacket – whitewater style with releasable chest harness
- Neoprene socks
- Neoprene hat
- 4-5 mm wetsuit
- Suitable canyoning footwear
- Harness with:
– with 2 cows tails (aka lanyards, daisy chains),
– figure-8 descenders X2,
– suitable ascenders,
– 3 locking carabiners to go with the above, and
– ideally the harness has a pvc seat
- diving mask
- throw bag
- Personal first aid kit
- Headlamp + spare batteries
- Suitable 40 litre canyon pack
For the River Rescue for Canyons course, we encourage participants to bring their own equipment. However we can provide equipment if needed. Let us know.